1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
10 ounces finely crushed candy canes
2 tsp cornstarch
Powdered sugar, for coating
1. Cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla.
2. Gradually add flour, mixing well.
3. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate.
4. Mix together cornstarch and crushed candy canes.
5. Gradually add candy cane mixture to cream cheese, mixing til blended. Set aside.
6. Remove dough from refrigerator and roll between two sheets of wax paper. Dough should be fairly thin (around 1/8 inch).
7. Loosen dough by peeling away top sheet of wax paper, then replacing loosely and inverting dough.
8. Peel away other sheet of wax paper, and cut out shapes with a cookie cutter (round ones are easiest).
9. Lift circles of dough with a spatula or other flat device, and place on baking sheet.
10. Place a small amount of filling in center of cookie (I used 3 inch circles and 1 tbsp filling).
11. Cover with another circle of dough, lightly pressing to remove air bubbles, and to seal edges together.
12. Repeat process for rest of dough. There will likely be a little filling leftover because I haven't really figured out how to make an absolutely correct ratio of dough to filling yet.
13. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, or until dough is set (but not brown).
14. While cookies are still warm, but cool enough to handle, coat in powdered sugar.
15. Allow cookies to cool completely, then coat in powdered sugar again.